PANK

Over the weekend Keiko Zoll (you know her as the incredible infertile crusader over at The Infertility Voice) posted a story from The New York Times on her Facebook page. The story itself was all about the role of the favorite aunt this Christmas – and how marketers are starting to recognize how important that role is in their advertising.

Overall, not something that initially would have caught my eye – if it had not been for a term they used that did:

PANK

Professional Aunt, No Kids

I’m not even going to lie – a huge smile erupted across my face when I saw that. We have all heard of DINK’s (Dual Income, No Kids), but this was the first time I had ever heard the term PANK. And immediately I thought – that’s me!

I am a PROUD professional auntie.

We have discussed here before the fact that I might even be the crazy auntie.

I love these little ones in my life so deeply that there almost are no words.

They light up my days and fill me with so much joy.

For all the pain I went through with infertility, one would have thought that being as surrounded as I now am by babies – it would be hard.

But it really isn’t.

I love these kids.

And even more – I am a seriously loved auntie!

So PANK? It is a term I will totally wear with pride.

Even though I could do without the NK part.

Which is why I have to tell you… something has happened in the last week which may be altering my view on a couple of things.

My heart has been changing, even since I last explained where it was just a week ago.

And I have a feeling that life is on the verge of changing in some big and incredible ways.

But I’m not ready to share how just yet.

So you will have to wait a little bit longer.

Knowing that I will always be a proud PA.

But NK?

It might just be on its way out sooner than I would have thought…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in babies, infertility, kids. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to PANK

1. Amy says:

Happy happy excited squeals. Damn you for not sharing yet! :P

2. jeanette1ca says:

Can’t wait to hear what your latest adventure is!

3. Ally says:

So excited for you, and the wonderful things coming your way! Can’t wait to hear more about it!

4. Carli says:

My sister will love that term! She is totally a PANK. However, she is by choice so I’m sure that makes it even easier. Or maybe since she doesn’t like babies all that much it makes it harder. Not sure. Either way she’s a great aunt, just like you!

5. Sara P says:

You are the cutest and best PANK my Quinny will ever know. Love you more than words.

6. Natalie says:

You are definitely a PA…hopefully someday you will be a PAWPAK “Proud Aunt with Plenty of Kids” So excited for whatever is happening.

7. I love it! PANK! DINK! It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it!!!

Btw, how does your hair go from curly to straight so magnificently????

8. Michaela says:

Sorry but I find PANK and DINK incredibly insulting and hurtful unless it is a choice.

I couldn’t imagine the pain being called either would inflict upon me after my years of struggling…

But I can’t wait to hear your news!!

9. Alaina says:

Aw, I have always always been so proud to be an aunt. Such a wonderful thing. And you know what? You can be a PANK in the blog-world to Miss Aubrey, too. Because you’re a pretty awesome person and she’d be so lucky!

10. Gail says:

Awesome! I love that I’m a PANK, too! I’ve always enjoyed the term DINK as well to describe my husband and me, but this is perfect. And, the male equivalent is PUNK! :)

11. Jaclyn says:

can’t wait to hear what it is that you want to share!!!

12. Leslie says:

Yay!!! So happy to hear things are changing quickly! Funny how stuff like that happens when we’re ready. As though they’ve been there all along waiting for us to catch up. I’m sure you’re the PERFECT aunt and will be an AMAZING mother! ;)

13. Pingback: Friday Night Dates | Single Infertile Female

14. Alissa says:

You are such a tease! I can’t wait to hear more! I love PANK and you are definately a good auntie.

15. I have started hearing this term thrown around more and more and I love it. Even though, like you, my NK is not by choice, nor is it my preference, I still love being the auntie. To me actual nephew, as well as to a whole bunch of fake nieces and nephews. It’s been a baby boom in my corner of the world and I couldn’t be happier to be surrounded by all the tiny babies.

16. dspence says:

So glad to have found you via the roundup. Looking forward to hearing your news and following your journey!

17. Pingback: Hot Mess | Single Infertile Female

18. Tabs says:

I’ve never actually heard of that term before but I like it :)